Sunday, April 19, 2015

Pound Cake

On this particular day I spent several hours trolling the internet in search of a dessert to make.  The catch was that I needed to have all of the ingredients already.  

Have you ever noticed how many things call for buttermilk? It's really quite fascinating.

Anyway after hours on Pinterest I finally did what I should have done all along.  I looked in a cookbook and found my dessert.

A plain lovely vanilla pound cake.


Pound Cake
From How to Took Everything by Mark Bittman

Ingredients
2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
5 eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla

1. Heat oven to 325. Grease a 5x9 loaf pan. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat until combined.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in by hand until smooth.  Batter will be extremely thick, like dough.
4. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Fold mixture into dough.  This will be fairly challenging, just mix it as best you can. It will be delicious I promise.
5. Place batter in to prepared pan and cook for 75 minutes.  Let cake cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.


I served the pound cake up with some macerated berries.  It was a delight and also since it's so plain you can totally eat it for breakfast.  I might even tell you that it's very easy to eat while driving to work in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment