Sunday, December 4, 2016

Alton Brown's Triple Cheese Popcorn


I went to see Alton Brown's live show in NYC last weekend.  It was really fantastic.  The best part about it was that the entire second half of the show was all about popcorn! So, yea, it was basically the best day ever.


He shared his favorite way to season popcorn during the show so about twelve hours later I made a trip to the supermarket to find the necessary ingredients.  If Alton loves popcorn as much as I do, I knew I needed to have this seasoning ASAP.


Tripe Cheese Popcorn
From Alton Brown

Ingredients
2 ounces cheddar cheese powder
1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, the cheap stuff they keep next to the pasta sauce
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (it was in the natural food section of my supermarket)
1 tsp buttermilk powder (found in the baking aisle)
1 tsp kosher salt

1. Dump all the ingredients in food processor or use your immersion blender to combine and create a fine powder.
2. Bake a large batch of popcorn and dust with seasoning*

*Note: This is a very large amount of seasoning and while it is delicious, there was just too much of it.  I would suggest making your usual bowl of popcorn and dust the popped kernels to taste.


Here is a little secret: it tastes just like Doritos!! It's incredible.  I am already thinking up other uses for this cheesy blend....

4 comments:

  1. It's called triple cheese popcorn but there are only two cheeses listed in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://altonbrown.com/triple-cheese-popcorn-recipe/

      Alton Brown's site its umamai popcorn. The nutritional yeast adds a different "cheesy" flavor. I've made this before and it is so yummy!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! What about that! Been since May and you never received a answer, so I probably won't either

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get the seasonings to stick to the popped corn? I ended up buttering it and then putting seasoning. Is there a trick?

    ReplyDelete