Saturday, July 8, 2017

Garlic Scape Pesto

I finally made it to a farmer's market!  What took me so long?  I have no idea.  I was on the hunt for some sort of random produce item that I'd either never had or just don't see at the supermarket.  That's why I was drawn to this container filled with curly green garlic scapes.

What does a scape taste like? What the heck do you make with it?  These were questions I was willing to discover later.


Garlic Scape Pesto
From Food52

Ingredients
1 cup garlic scapes, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional, I didn't use any nuts)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Take your scapes and nuts if using and pulse in a food processor until things are broken up a bit.  Then drizzle in your olive oil slowly while the food processor is running.
2. Pulse in the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.



I made a grilled cheese with scape pesto and mozzarella cheese on proscuitto bread (which was also purchased at the farmer's market 😊).


Bailey wanted in on the action, but unfortunately this is not on his low fat diet.  

What else can I make with garlic scapes?! What should I do with the rest of the pesto?  Big decisions coming up this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment