Sunday, July 27, 2014

Dry Aged Beef

I saw this video from America's Test Kitchen and was inspired to dry age my own steak at home.  It's super easy and only requires a few pieces of equipment, most of which you probably have on hand.  The only catch is you need to decide four days in advance that you will be eating steak on a particular evening.


All you need is cheese cloth, a wire rack, and a baking sheet.  The video uses a rib eye steak, but I had a London broil on hand so that is what I used.

I put it in the back of the fridge for four days as instructed and when it was finished the steak was rock hard.  I was concerned that I did something terribly wrong, but once the meat rested on the counter for a bit it softened up.

I seasoned both sides with salt and pepper and cooked in on a gas grill.


I will say, I have never had a dry aged steak before.  This steak was delicious, but I couldn't tell any difference between this steak and the one I cooked a week prior.

I'm not sure if I used a different cut of beef or if I tasted a dry aged and non-dry aged piece side by side, the outcome would have been more dramatic.


Not that the steak didn't taste good, it was delicious.  I'm just not sure if it's worth the 4 day fridge session.

No comments:

Post a Comment