Friday, September 26, 2014

Baked Macaroni and Cheese


I got Corningware guys! There's like a real presentable kitchen in my house right now.  It's filled to the brim with everything I could possibly need thanks to my recent bridal shower. 

I have always wanted to make a real baked mac and cheese from a recipe because whenever I do it things turn out far too dry.


Just look at that pile of cheese guys!  This recipe was intense.


Check out my kitchen helper!  I can always count on him to be exactly in my way.


Classic Mac and Cheese
Adapted From America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook

Ingredients
1 cup bread crumbs
8 tbsp butter
1 lb macaroni
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1 tbsp hot sauce
5 cups milk
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1. In a small skillet, melt 3 tbsp butter.  Add bread crumbs and toast, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
3. Preheat broiler. In emptied pasta pot, melt 5 tbsp butter.  Add flour, mustard, and hot sauce.  Whisk constantly, until mixture has darkened in color, about 1 minute. Gradually mix in milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Off heat, slowly whisk in cheese until melted.  Add pasta and mix until coated.
4. Transfer mixture to a broiler safe 13x9 inch dish. Top with bread crumb and butter mixture. Broil until topping is browned, about 5 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes before serving.


I'm going to be completely honest with you guys here.  This was far too cheesy and saucy for me. I won't tell you not to make this because you might like your mac and cheese like this, ATK does state that it is a "classic." But I prefer my mac and cheese with about half the sauce. And maybe that's just what I'll do next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment