This French onion tart is one of those recipes that knows no bounds. Eat it for breakfast or lunch or dinner. It will be delicious and hearty any time of day.
You're going to take a whole giant pile of onions and cook them down to nothin'. Well almost nothin'.
French Onion Tart
From Smitten Kitchen
1 pie crust, homemade or store bought, you decide (you know I sure as heck didn't make my own!)
1 1/2 lb yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of sugar
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup Swiss cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, toss with butter/oil mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the skillet. Cook for 15 minutes.
2. Remove lid and add salt, pepper, and sugar, saute 10-15 minutes longer.
3. Add stock, raise heat, simmer until broth nearly disappears. Let cool until warm.
4. In a medium bowl beat the eggs and cream together. Stir in onions.
5. Heat oven to 400. Place pie crust in a 9 inch tart pan. Fill with egg mixture. Top with cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes until filling is set. Serve hot or warm with a nice big salad.
This tart will warm you right up this fall.
Remember when it was a frightening thought to put that oven on just a few weeks ago? Not any more!
Yum! Tastes great leftover too!