Eggplant Wrapped Ricotta Gnocchi
Adapted from Ottolenghi
1 cup ricotta
2 egg yolks
4 1/2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped basil
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 small/medium eggplant
1/2 cup olive oil
1 stick butter
20 sage leaves, chopped
1. Mix first set of ingredients in a bowl and let set in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Trim the top and bottom off the eggplant. Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise, about 1/4 inch slices. You will need about 8-12 slices to wrap your gnocchi.
3. Lay eggplant on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush eggplant with olive oil and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
4. Now we make the gnocchi! Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Wet your hands and make gnocchi about 3 tablespoons large and sort of a barrel shape. Carefully drop dumplings into water and cook until they float to the top. Use a slotted spoon to remove gnocchi from the pot. Place on paper towel lined plate to drain excess water. Brush with remaining olive oil.
5. Once eggplant and gnocchi are cooled, wrap each gnocchi with a strip of eggplant. Place in a small greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
6. In a small saucepan melt butter with sage leaves and salt (if using unsalted butter). Pour butter over cooked eggplant wrapped gnocchi.
This is a lovely and delicate meal. It's definitely not going to feed a crowd like my usual recipes so just keep that in mind. This is a great romantic meal for 2.
I love making fancy lil meals on my vacation! Victory!