Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Crab Cakes

So I totally cooked this dinner ages ago.  This post has just been sitting here waiting to be crafted.  I remember it was a delightful little project.  

I will be totally honest and tell you I used fake crab and it was damn good.  Who can afford to eat real crab, right?


Crab Cakes
From How to Cook Everything

Ingredients
1 lb crab meat
1 egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise, I used sour cream because I refuse to work with mayo
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 cup flour, for dredging
curry powder
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter, or more oil

1. Mix together the crabmeat, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, and some salt and pepper. Add enough bread crumbs to bind the mixture just enough to form into cakes; start with 2 tablespoons and use more if you need it ( I needed more).
2. Refrigerate the mixture until you’re ready to cook. It will be easier to shape if you refrigerate it for 30 minutes or more, but it’s ready to go when you finish mixing.
3. Season the flour with salt and pepper and add some curry powder. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the oil and butter and heat until the butter foam subsides. Shape the crab mixture into 1-inch-thick cakes, dredge each in the flour, and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary and turning once (very gently), until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with lemon wedges and/or tartar sauce. (I used this awesome cucumber dill feta dip)

The curry powder is optional, but I loved it.  I fully embraced the curry flavors by serving up some Mediterranean curry cous cous on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment