Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cauliflower Steaks


I got a new cookbook that I have fallen in love with.  Sure, every time I get a new cookbook I fall madly in love with it.  I read it cover to cover like it's a thrilling novel and I want to cuddle up with it in bed.

Ok.

Too much information?

Moving right along.

Food 52 is an awesome food community/blog/store.  They have collected a slew of recipes deemed "genius" for one reason or another and put them all in a wondrous and beautiful book.  Warning: once you start exploring their website you will most likely never leave so set aside a whole day and pretend like you are going to buy that beautiful $90 copper pot.


Now that I'm done fawning over Food 52, on to the recipe!

Cauliflower Steaks
From Dan Barber

Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, 1 1/2 lb
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup whole milk (I used 2% and it was still glorious)
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut cauliflower in half and then cut 2, 1 inch thick slices. Set aside.
3. Cut remaining cauliflower into florets measuring about 3 cups.  Combine florets, water, milk, salt and pepper in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes.  Strain florets, reserving 1 cup of liquid.
4. Transfer florets to the blender with 1/2 cup of reserved liquid.  Blend until smooth.  Add more liquid as you see fit.
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat.  Brush steaks with additional oil and season with salt and pepper. Brown on each side, about 2 minutes.  Finish cooking the steaks in the oven for about 10 minutes.
6. To plate, divide puree* between 2 plates and top with cauliflower steaks.

*Note: You might need to re-warm the puree, but I found that keeping the lid on the blender kept my puree nice and hot.


I know what you are probably thinking.  Did these 2 seriously eat a head of cauliflower for dinner? 

Yes. We did. And it was fabulous and you should do it too.  

I served it with a baguette and some herb butter and it demands nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment