Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Frizzled Onions

I LOVE frizzled onions.  Love. Love. Love them.  In my opinion they knock the pants off of onion rings any day.  The crispy crunchy outside to onion ratio is perfection.


I just wanted to share this photo for a moment for several reasons. 1. I now have an open concept living room-kitchen.  It is the best thing we have done to our new home. 2.  I am watching an obesity documentary while preparing fried onions.  Oh, the irony.


Frizzled Onions

Ingredients
1 large onion
1 cup of milk  (most recipes call for buttermilk, I used 2% and these were perfect so you make the call)
1 cup flour
salt, cayenne pepper, any seasonings you like

1. Thinly slice up your onions.  I used a mandolin, but you can probably handle it with a large chefs knife.
2.  Place onions in a large container with the milk.  You want something that is flat and wide to get the most onion-milk coverage.  I used a casserole dish, see above.
3.  Mix up flour, salt, and any seasonings you'd like in a large mixing bowl.
4.  Heat about 2 inches of oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven to 375 degrees.
5.  When oil is heated take bit of the onion from the milk, toss it in the flour mixture, and fry until crispy and brown.  Keep doing this in small batches.  Remove the onions into a paper towel lined plate.


Oh I am drooling at this picture.  What a beautiful sight.  Now that I know how easy these are to cook up, my waistline is in serious trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment