Monday, July 27, 2015

Black Pepper Tofu

This recipe is another winner from the Food52 Genius Recipe Cookbook.  

I am quite proud of these moderately attractive prep photos.  It is not often I take the time to snap pre-cooked photos.  


I prepped everything before I started cooking so that I was all set to go one the oil was heated.  The most "difficult" part of the recipe is frying the tofu, it is a bit time consuming.


Just a warning this is a super spicy dish.  If I were you I would dial the black pepper back a bit.  Maybe only 3-4 tablespoons.


Black Pepper Tofu
Adapted From Food 52 Genius Recipes Cookbook

Ingredients
2 packages of tofu
vegetable oil, for frying
cornstarch, for dusting the tofu
11 tbsp butter
8 shallots, sliced thinly
2 jalapenos, diced seeds removed
12 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
10 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp black pepper *this was too much pepper for me, feel free to reduce it to your liking
a bundle of scallions, sliced into small segments
rice, for serving

1. Heat oil (about 1/4 inch) in a large pan.  Cut tofu into one inch cubes and dust with cornstarch. Fry tofu in batches until golden brown all over.  Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
2. Remove oil from the pan.  Melt butter and add shallots, jalapenos, garlic, and ginger. Saute until ingredients are shiny and soft.  Add soy sauce, sugar, and black pepper.
3. Add tofu to the pan to reheat and coat with sauce.  Stir in scallions and serve on top of white rice.


All in one pan! Perfect!


This was an awesome vegetarian dinner.  I can totally see serving this for company as well. I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment