I was recently gifted some homemade kimchi! Yes, I know, not many of you would be that excited to get a Tupperware of stinky fermenting cabbage. That is why I'm the food blogger, and you are here for the food porn.
Note that the kimchi is not going to make or break this recipe so if your Korean friend's mother didn't whip you up a batch, don't worry.
Kimchi Pork Fried Rice
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sriracha
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger, or 1 tbsp fresh grated
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp oil, sesame if you have it
3 eggs, beaten
4 slices bacon
1/2 lb pork loin sliced into bit sized pieces*
4 cups cooked rice
1 cup cubed pineapple
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup kimchi
salt and pepper to taste
sesame seeds, optional
1. Mix up the first 5 ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup. Set aside
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet or wok. Cook eggs until soft and set. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Cook bacon in same skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble when cooled.
4. Cook your meat in bacon fat with about 2-3 tbsp of the sauce you made.
5. Add pineapple chunks, kimchi, and vegetables and cook until heated through.
6. Add rice, eggs, bacon, and remaining sauce. Stir to combine. Serve topped with sesame seeds.
*You can use any meat you like here. I had the pork in the fridge from a previous meal.
FYI: This is a ton of food which is totally fantastic because you are going to love eating it for lunch all week long.