Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fake Shack Burgers

OMGOMGOMGOMG

This was my reaction after biting into this burger.

How had I been able to capture the Shake Shack flavor so well right in my own kitchen!? I have Deb Perlman over at Smitten Kitchen to thank for that.


Buttery potato rolls toasting in the pan. YES.


You have to make the meat this odd shape, freeze it for a bit, them SMASH it! It's fun and it makes a perfect crust on the burgers.

Fake Shack Burgers

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef, 80/20 ratio

1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp pickle juice, straight from the jar
1 1/2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

2 tbsp butter
4 potato buns, Martin's if you want the real deal
2 tbsp oil

optional burger accouterments: lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, pickles

1. Prepare the meat: form beef into quarter pound meat pucks, about 2 1/2 inches thick. Place them on a plate lined with plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Freeze for 30 minutes.
2. While meat is freezing, mix together all the sauce ingredients, from sour cream to onion powder above.
3. The meat is still freezing, so toast the buns! In a cast iron skillet melt butter.  Toast buns until...toasty...
4. Remove meat from the freezer. In the same skillet you toasted the buns, heat 2 tbsp of oil on high, until oil begins to smoke.  Now, to cook the burgers you are going to need to flatten it to 1/2 an inch thick.  I used this awesome cast iron press.  You can also use a meat pounder. Or you can press down with 1 spatula and use an additional weight on that to really mash it. Season with salt and pepper. Flip after the first side is nicely browned, about 1.5 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. Top with sauce and any additional toppings you desire.  Really, these don't need a lot of dressing up.


I think the really incredible part of this creation is the imitation shack sauce. I was so excited to dive in I forgot that I usually cheese-ify my burger, but it didn't need it!

Of course I had to serve it with krinkle fries, it is the Shake Shack way!

No comments:

Post a Comment