Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Philly Cheese Steaks

I recently took a trip to Philadelphia and I did not have the opportunity to eat a cheese steak.  In fact, I will admit I have never eaten a cheese steak, Never! Gasp!


I scoured the internet for recipes.  There are many different kinds of meat and many kinds of cheeses you can go with, according to the web.  I used skirt steak and cheddar cheese.


Philly Cheese Steaks
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen

2 lb skirt steak
4 sub rolls, toasted
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Divide steak in 3 pieces.  Place on a plate in the freezer for 1 hour. Shave frozen steak against the grain as thin as possible. Coarsely chop steak 10-20 times.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add meat and cook without stirring for 4-5 minutes until meat is browned. Stir and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink. Transfer meat to a colander. Wipe skillet dry. 
3. Return meat to skillet. On low heat add in salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Divide meat into individual mounds and top with cheddar cheese.  When cheese is melted, place on toasted rolls and serve.

*I grilled up some onions to go on the sandwiches also.  Feel free to add peppers or mushrooms too!


I will have to have an official Philly cheese steak some day, until then, this will do! I hope you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment